I made this dish up randomly the other day. It’s very me—pasta, Italian sausage, onions, garlic, yellow squash, zucchini, fresh mozzarella, black pepper, and basil chiffonade. Those are all of the ingredients that you need. The process, also, was VERY simple. You can do this in less than an hour!
So why don’t you?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 # pasta, ditalini
- 1 jar tomato sauce (I go for the most basic sauce if I can. You don’t need any special additions or anything fancy. Just plain tomato sauce. Look for 5 ingredients or less.)
- 3 T butter, unsalted
- 1/2 # sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 zucchini, 1/4 in thick, sliced on the bias
- 1 yellow squash, 1/4 inch thick, sliced on the bias
- 1 sm. onion, sm dice
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 calls fresh mozzarella, 1/4 inch slices
- 4-5 T basil, chiffonade
- salt/black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a saute pan on medium heat, combine the Italian sausage, zucchini, yellow squash, and onion. Cook completely without caramelization (as long as you cook on medium or medium-low, your veg/meat should not get color). When all is cooked, add the garlic and saute 2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Meanwhile, boil salted water and cook the pasta according to directions. Strain. Toss with butter first, then pasta sauce.
- In a 8x8in dish, spread 1/2 of the pasta on the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of all the meat and veg. Spread the second half of the pasta on top of that.
- Lay the mozzarella slices on the top. Crack lot’s of fresh pepper on top! Add the chiffonade basil on top, cover with foil, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake about 10-15 minutes longer, until slightly browned on top.
Don’t be silly people. Go make this. It’s simple. You’re a fool if you don’t!
Have a beautiful day.